Sunday, January 8, 2012

Satis Bistro - Setting a High Standard for JC Restaurant

I went to Satis on Saturday with my girlfriend for our 4 year anniversary.  This was the third time I've gone and they've continued to impress me with the food and the service.  The restaurant itself is well designed and has a pleasant atmosphere.  Saturday every table was full but it didn't seem uncomfortably crowded or too loud.  We were seated upstairs, which took us by their salumeria counter and gave us a chance to look at their excellent selection of cured meats which you can also purchase to go along with their cheeses.  

Satis is BYOB, so once we were seated the waiter opened our sparkling wine for us and placed the bottle on ice.  We ordered a chef's selection cheese and meat plate. The meats were prosciutto de Parma and a pork salami.  Both were very good and very thinly sliced.  I've notice a  lot of restaurants failing to slice their prosciutto thin enough, making it tough to eat.  The first cheese was a Manchego, the other a soft cow's milk whose name I can't remember and were pleasant if not particularly memorable.  The plate was server with bread, cornichons and a fig paste. My only critique is I would have liked some mustard served with it.  And I did have to be the dork who took pictures of his food at the restaurant, but I did it all for you,my adoring public.











We also got the bacon wrapped dates, and potato croquettes both of which were delicious.  But the truly outstanding dish was their duck liver mouse.  Its served in a clear glass container covered with a layer of onion marmalade and duck fat.  The balance of flavors was between the liver and marmalade was perfect, and a nice thick layer of duck fat didn't hurt.  And the glass serving dish lets you see all three layers which I thought was a a nice presentation.

For an entree we split the braised beef short rib, which was served over mashed potatoes with carmlenized per onions and I believe small bits of chorizo.  Also very good, although the braising sauce could have use a bit stronger flavors for my taste and I would have like it a little more sauce on the plate.  But that's just personal preference, and it was still delicious.  

We finished with a gellato dish and espressos.  We had coconut and chocolate gellato with whipped cream and bits of toffee.  The rich creaminess of the gellatos was just outstanding.  I don't think I've ever had better. The double espressos were also good and generously sized.  Finally  our service throughout the night was friendly and professional.  

So after my third visit, I'm going to put Satis Bistro and its Chef Michael Fiorianti at the top of the class for Jersey City restaurants.  Its been consistently excellent in both food and service.  Which works out well for the first blog post.  I'm going to try to review at least one new restaurant each month and in my next post I'll also list my top 5 favorite restaurants in JC.  Please add your own comments and impressions about Satis.

No comments:

Post a Comment